Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are the hours of operation at the City Hall?

The City Hall is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. The City Hall is closed during holidays and weekends.

Who do I call if I have questions or concerns about water quality?

Please contact the Operations Department at 905-227-3521 to ask questions regarding water quality or to report water quality related issues.

The water meter is leaking in my house or making a loud noise.

Please contact the Operations Department at 905-227-3521 to schedule an appointment for our Water Department staff to replace/repair the water meter.

I am moving to Thorold and need to set up a new water billing account.

Residential water billing accounts are prepared by the Water Billing Clerk at Thorold City Hall located at 3540 Schmon Parkway, in Thorold.  Please contact the Water Billing Clerk at 905-227-6613 ext. 240 to set up a new account.

Who do I call if my tap water is discoloured or has an unusual odour?

Please contact the Operations Department at 905-227-3521 to report discoloured water.  If your tap water has an unusual odour, please contact the Niagara Region at 905-685-1571.

Who do I call to arrange a water service locate on my property?

Locates for City owned infrastructure are requested through Ontario 1 Call at 1-800-400-2255. The City does not perform locates on private property. To locate the water service on private property contact your plumber.

What is the average daily water consumption or usage?

In 2011, Canadians used an average of 251 litres of water each day.
1000 litres = 1 cubic metre

Who do I call for a large item pickup?

Please contact Emterra Environmental (contracted by the Niagara Region) at 905-227-7771.